Grants and Scholarships Need-Based Grants and Scholarships This is "free money" you don't pay back.
- Need-based grants and need-based scholarships are basically the same thing – money available for students based on financial need to help pay for college.
- Colleges/Universities and the federal government are the best sources for grants, but need-based grants and scholarships are also available from other private groups.
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (the “FAFSA”).
- Need-based grants and scholarships are awarded based on your financial circumstances.
- Your eligibility for State and federal need-based aid is determined when you complete and submit your FAFSA. It’s easy…
- Just list on your FAFSA the colleges and universities you are interested.
- You are automatically considered for every State (and federal) need-based grant or scholarship as long as you list at least one eligible college or university that participates in these programs on your FAFSA.
- Once you submit your FAFSA, no further action on your part is required.
- If you are eligible, your college or university will let you know.